Home » » Former chief of Cambodia's Khmer Rouge prison apologises

Former chief of Cambodia's Khmer Rouge prison apologises

Written By vibykhmer on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 | 9:33 PM


Khmer Rouge jailer Kaing Guek Eav, also known as Comrade Duch on trial in Phnom Penh. Duch has apologised to his victims.

The chief of the Khmer Rouge's main jail has ended his testimony to Cambodia's war crimes tribunal with a surprise invitation to victims of the former Pol Pot regime to visit him in prison.

Duch has told the United Nations-backed court that he would like to personally apologise to victims.

"Any victim who wishes to see me, I would be very happy to do so. You are all welcome," said Duch, whose real name is Kaing Guek Eav.

"I open the door to them emotionally and most importantly, I would like to express my inner emotions, or my guilt admission, so they could see my true self."

Duch has also admitted to overseeing the torture and execution of over 15,000 people at the so-called S-21 detention centre.

Admits guilt, denies torturing

He has told the court he admits his guilt and accepts responsibility.

However he denies several allegations he personally tortured and killed inmates.

Closing arguments in Duch's trial, the first at the court, are scheduled to take place in November and the verdict is expected early next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment